Tuesday 14 October 2014

My Most Influential Person

Image: hellogiggles.com
Image: hellogiggles.com
I love reading about influential people. One day, I would love to positively impact someone’s life and have them quote me as being an incredibly influential person in their life so I thought I would share with you the most influential person I know.
My grandmother.

Without wanting to get into a lot of my grandmother’s personal life, she is disabled and has been since she was a teenager. When she was in her early twenties, she had an arthrodesis operation, which means she has a fixed hip and can’t rotate it the way you or I can. She also has arthritis, which can be very painful for her at times.
The reason she is the most influential person in my life is because of what she has done with her life and the strength she has shown.
I remember a few years ago I bought a yoga book and my nan said she wishes she could do that, but she can’t due to her hip. Hearing that made me cry. She hasn’t had ‘correct’ mobility since she was 22 so she has missed out on a whole host of tasks and experiences that I still want to achieve with my life. It really makes me stop and think about how it is important not to put off things if you really want to do them - the best time to do them is now, while you’re still young enough and able enough to do it all. My grandmother never imagined she wouldn’t be able to walk easily when she was 25 but they are the cards that my nan has been dealt and in life, bad things happen to good people.
Another of the reasons my nan is the most influential person in my life is because of what she and my grandfather have provided for me. My parents split when I was young and my grandparents were a step-in for my father. My sister and I went to visit my grandparents each weekend and they always made sure we had toys to play with, books to read and TV to watch and, most importantly, their attention. They both ensured that my sister, mother and I never went without anything we needed, regardless of the cost to them.
Both of my grandparents have always been there for me and I know that they always will be: they will always be a shoulder to cry on, provide an ear to listen and a smile to show how proud of me they are. They have helped shape who I am today and they always support me in whatever I choose to do and for that, I will always be grateful.

- Taisie ♥ | Bloglovin ♥ Twitter ♥ Tumblr ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram

2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely post. Grandparents can be wonderful people. I lost mine when I was young so I never really had a relationship with them.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means so much to me :)
      It's unfortunate that you never really had a relationship with them :( my sister is pregnant at the moment and my mum is super excited about being a grandparent - she says there is something special about it and I agree - I definitely feel a special bond to my grandparents :)

      - Taisie ♥

      Delete



blogger template by lovebird